Thursday, December 18, 2008

The dog who could play bridge

We heard the story recently of a man who walked into a bar and proudly said to the barman,

“I’ve taught my dog to declare a bridge hand! He’s no good at the bidding, but his declarer play’s pretty sharp! I bet if you set him up with a makeable contract to play, he’ll make it.”

The barman says, “You’re on!” and sets up the following hand:
9
AK765
8765432
AKQJT86
KT63
52

“OK,” says the barman. “The contract’s six spades, and the lead is the ace of hearts. Call your card from dummy.”

The dog says, “RUFF”.

The barman yells, “You’re a fraud, and so’s your dog. Get the HELL out of my bar!” and throws them both out on the street. Befuddled and dazed, they pick themselves up. The dog turns to his master, and says, “Do you think I should have left him on lead to rectify the count for a squeeze?”

No comments: